Tortal LMS Administrators who are experiencing issues with users bypassing the “Prerequisite” features of their courses can find information in this article to help with troubleshooting and resolving those issues.
- Courses being marked “Completed” or “Passed” in error.
- Courses being marked “Completed” or “Passed” even if users “Fail” Course Assessments.
The Tortal Learning Management System can integrate multiple types of media for Learning Objects (Lessons) within Courses.
Depending on the Type of Learning Objects, the setting to control the “Prerequisite“ feature may be in different places: Courses, Assessments, & SCORM files
- From the Homepage, the Courses menu can be found here: Admin (Dropdown) >> Courses
- Choose “Edit an existing course”
- Following the “Edit Course Wizard”, by clicking , until you reach “Select the Prerequisites”
- On the left, select the courses you wish to designate as prerequisites,
- Click the to move them to the right-side column.
- Click to save your changes
Learning Object: Assessments
Assessments are learning object types which can be created/ edited directly from the Tortal LMS.
- From the Homepage, the Assessments Wizard can be found here: Admin (Dropdown) >> Courses
- From the Courses menu, Check “Add / Edit course assessments”, and click .
- Choose your assessment form the list, and click
- In the “Edit /Add Assessment” Menu, ensure the “Master/ Passing Score” setting is set.
- Click to save your changes and exit.
Learning Objects: SCORM (“Sharable Content Object Reference Model” files)
SCORM Files are interactive learning modules which can contain unique features and flows. They can be created externally and added to Learning Object (lesson) containers within the Tortal LMS’s different Courses.
How to check the prerequisite settings of your SCORM Learning Objects in Tortal.
1. From the Homepage, the SCORM Wizard can be found here: Admin (Dropdown) >> SCORM Learning Objects (Lessons)
2. Select “Modify existing SCORM or ILT lesson”, and click
3. Highlight the lesson you with to edit, click
4. In the “Modify SCORM/ILT Lesson” menu, look for “Mastery/ Passing Score” options:
If this is not set, Users may pass the lesson without achieving your required score on the built-in SCORM file assessment!
- Click to save your changes
How to configure your externally created SCORM Files for Tortal LMS tracking compatibility.
Here are some tips to ensure compatibility of your 3rd party SCORM files, and Tortal’s course tracking system. Tortal Support cannot provide support for independently authored SCORM files.
1. Check your SCORM file completion variables.
2. Check you LMS Reporting Status
Setting your LMS Reporting Status to “Passed/ Incomplete” will ensure that the results of completing the SCORM will not supersede the Tortal LMS “prerequisite” settings.
3. Replacing an updated SCORM file in the Tortal LMS.
1. Admin (Dropdown) >> SCORM Learning Objects (Lessons)
2. Select “Replace existing SCORM or ILT lesson”, and click
3. Highlight the lesson you with to edit, click .
4. Click the button to upload your new content, then click .
5. Select which data you'd like to verify and click to save your changes.